Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Holy Humor Sunday

Holy Humor Sunday is traditionally the Sunday after Easter, because it is said that God had played the ultimate joke on death by raising Jesus from the grave. Because of other commitments we had it May 15 instead.  We had lots of fun & humor. The choir dressed in bathrobes instead of choir gowns. The choral introit was "Ode to Joy" played on kazoos. We used "Knock-knock" jokes to introduce the various parts of the service. For example:
Knock knock
Who's there?
Lettuce
Lettuce who?
Let us pray
Yes, it's corny. But that's what Holy Humor is all about.
We had a couple of humorous skits. In the last skit I got to show off some of my balloon skills.
I was trying to get to heaven. First by flying with my balloon wings
 Then I tried to climb a ladder to heaven
Then I tried using a jet pack
And finally my nuclear powered helicopter. (I got a great reaction from the congregation when I came out with my helicopter.)
But Cymbalina reminded me that none of these things will get me to heaven. In order to get to heaven "This is what the LORD requires from you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to live humbly with your God."

No comments: