Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Last few days on Newfoundland

Well, time to get caught up.
Friday was a bit of a down day. We had been so busy all week that we decided to just relax in the morning. I met an old friend for lunch. Vince worked with me at IBM for about 11 years. His family is all in Newfoundland. So when he got a package from IBM in 2008 he moved "back home". I haven't seen him since so it was good to have lunch and get caught up.
I dropped Maryann at the university botanical gardens. She told me that the gardens are beautiful. I'll take her word for it.
We met the kids at Bridie Molloy's for supper. Our server was a nice Irish girl. She told us that she has been in Newfoundland since last August. She grew up near Ballynahinch Ireland. That is where the Patterson's emigrated from way back in the lat 1800's. After I made her a balloon rose, she told me that her favorite animal is a meerkat. So here is my first attempt at a balloon meerkat.
I think that it need some work.

Saturday we drove to Bay Bulls for a boat tour to see some puffins (and other assorted birds). The tour goes out to Witless Bay Ecological Reserve which contains four islands that are just teeming with various seabirds. There are more than 300,000 puffins along with Leach's storm-petrol, kittiwakes & murres. It was truly amazing the number of birds flying around and sitting on the cliffs. Another great tour with entertaining tour guides.



Down the highway we stopped at La Manche Provincial Park for a hike. The 1.5 km trail took us to the abandoned fishing village of La Manch. In 1966 a severe winter storm destroyed most of the village of 25 residents, so they resettled elsewhere. All that is evident today are the foundations of the buildings and the rebuilt suspension bridge that spans the bay. The trail also joins up with the East Coast Trail


No comments: